Today I’m sharing a breakfast recipe that I think you will love. Unlike most recipes I’ve shared so far, Bacon and Egg Corn Muffins isn’t a recipe we’ve been making for years. Rather it’s something my mom and I decided to try in an effort to change up the weekday breakfast routine. Corn muffins filled with scrambled eggs, cheddar cheese and bacon give you weekend breakfast flavor on a school day!
My oldest son Marcus loves breakfast, and really loves cereal. I can’t tell you how much cereal we go through in a week. (Full disclosure: He gets this from me. Though now I mostly drink green smoothies for breakfast, growing up I was obsessed with cereal too!) I don’t buy junky cereals. He eats shredded wheat, Cheerios, Chex, Life. But if I let him, he’d eat half a box at a time! I felt like he needed some variety in the morning and an easy way to add more filling protein to his breakfasts. So that’s why we decided to try these Bacon and Egg Corn Muffins!
Though it sounds a little odd, adding scrambled eggs to these muffins is both delicious and nutritious. Eggs keep you feeling full longer and help keep energy levels up. And the cheese and bacon add great flavor, as they always do. We used cheddar and regular bacon, but you could try jack or Swiss, or switch to turkey bacon.
Make these your own by using your favorite shredded cheese and use turkey bacon if you prefer.
Make up a batch of these on a Sunday afternoon, and then you can eat them all week. Store them in a zipper bag in the fridge, and older kids can help themselves in the morning. To reheat, just wrap the muffin in a paper towel, and microwave for 20 – 30 seconds (depending on your microwave.) These muffins are great as is (perfect on the run out to the bus!) or you can dip these savory muffins in a little maple syrup. Yum! Like I said, it will taste like a Saturday morning, without the cooking and the mess!
- 4 slices bacon, cut into thirds
- 5 eggs
- ½ tsp. salt, plus salt and pepper to taste
- 1 c. all purpose flour
- ½ c. yellow cornmeal
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 c. milk, plus 2 tsp. milk
- ¼ c. vegetable oil
- ½ c. shredded cheddar
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until just crisp. Remove bacon to paper towels and drain skillet, reserving 2 tsp.bacon drippings. Add the reserved bacon drippings back to skillet.
- Into a small bowl, crack 3 eggs and add 2 tsp. milk, salt and pepper to taste, and whisk to combine. Scramble the eggs in the skillet with the bacon drippings over medium heat. Allow to cook until firm, but stil moist. Remove from heat, into a bowl and set aside.
- Prepare the muffin pan by spraying with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and ½ tsp. of salt. In a separate bowl, combine 2 eggs, milk and oil. Stir egg mixture into flour mixture. Mix in shredded cheese and fold in the scrambled eggs.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups.
- Place one piece of bacon on top of each muffin cup. Bake 15 minutes, or until muffins are lightly browned and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven to a rack, and let cool about 10 minutes. Then remove from pan and serve warm.
- Muffins can be stored in a zipper bag in the refrigerator; allow to cool completely before storing. To reheat: wrap muffin in paper towel and heat in the microwave about 20 secons (adjust depending on your microwave.)
Recipe inspired by and adapted from Better Homes and Gardens, April 2012.