This Mexican Chicken Stacks recipe is an old family favorite. In fact, it’s the meal my brother always requests my mom make for his birthday dinner! It combines a delicious chicken and tomato mixture with flour tortillas and jack cheese. Yum!
Don’t let the long list of ingredients intimidate you. This meal comes together in a flash. Have some leftover chicken? Make Mexican Chicken Stacks! I love to make a ton of shredded chicken breast in the slow cooker and this is the perfect recipe to use up any extra. Especially once we’re back into the busy school routine, I love having part of a meal prepped ahead of time!
Making Mexican Chicken Stacks
First preheat the oven to 350° F. In a saucepan, saute chopped onions & garlic in oil until tender. Stir in all remaining ingredients, except tortillas and cheese – canned stewed tomatoes, 2 cups of cooked, shredded chicken, tomato paste, diced green chiles, and spices. Simmer the mixture, uncovered for 15 minutes to allow the flavors to combine.
Next, prepare a 2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Layer 1 tortilla, 1 cup of chicken mixture and 1/2 cup of shredded Monteray Jack cheese. Repeat the layering process until all the ingredients have been used. Bake for 20 minutes, or until heated through and the cheese is melted. Cut the stack into wedges and serve!
Want to increase the heat? Use Pepper Jack cheese. Prefer cheddar? Go ahead and try that!
- ½ c. chopped onion
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 T. oil
- 1 - 14½ oz. can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 c. cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 - 8 oz. can tomato paste
- 1 - 4 oz. can diced green chilis
- 1 T. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 4 - 6” tortillas
- 2 c. shredded Montery Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In saucepan, saute onions & garlic in oil until tender.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients, except tortillas andcheese; simmer, uncovered for 15 mins.
- Prepare a 2 qt. casserole dish with cooking spray. Layer 1 tortilla, 1 cup of chicken mixture and ½ cup of cheese.
- Repeat layers until all ingredients are used.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until heated through and cheese is melted.
- Cut into wedges to serve.