When you have kids, you undoubtedly have a crazy schedule. I remember thinking we were so busy when my older kids were small and we were on going on playdates, trips to the library and hitting up all the different playgrounds. But that was nothing compared to managing their sports schedules, school band lessons and concerts and homework. Not to mention taking a potty training toddler to all these events! So the idea of making a meal once and eating it twice is one I fully embrace. These Pulled Pork Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are one of my favorite meals!
In the June Preserves monthly newsletter, I’m sharing my Slow Cooker Pulled Pork recipe. (Head over to the side bar and sign up!) It’s simple and healthy and the slow cooker is a lifesaver when you’re busy. I throw in the pork roast, a flavorful blend of spices and at the end of the day the meat is so tender you can shred it with two forks… it’s amazing!
On the first day we eat pulled pork sandwiches and I usually make some coleslaw and french fries to go along with it. It’s an awesome meal that I can have on the table in about 15 minutes.
But where this really gets good, is a day or two later when I make the Pulled Pork Stuffed Sweet Potatoes. A lot of times I actually make this as one of my Mom-Only meals! It’s so easy and filling and healthy…a complete win in my book.
I just scrub a sweet potato and pop it in the microwave to cook, about 5 minutes. (My microwave has a baked potato button.) Then I slice the potato in half lengthwise, and mash it a little with a fork. Then I warm up about a 3/4 of a cup of pulled pork and place it on top of the potato. I add about a cup of my favorite Sweet Vinegar Coleslaw and top it off with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt. That’s it!
Give this meal a try…you won’t regret it!
- 1 medium sweet potato
- ¾ c. pulled pork
- ½ - 1 c. Sweet Vinegar coleslaw (recipe below)
- 1 T. plain Greek yogurt
- 1 bag of coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage and carrots)
- 1 c. apple cider vinegar
- 3 T. olive oil
- ½ c. sugar
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- Scrub a sweet potato, pierce a few times with a fork, and cook in microwave, about 5 minutes. (My microwave has a baked potato button.)
- Then slice the potato in half lengthwise, and mash the inside a little with a fork.
- Warm up the pulled pork in microwave, about 30 seconds, and place it on top of the potato.
- Layer the coleslaw on top and finish with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt.
- Place vinegar, oil, sugar and spices in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves. Allow to cool.
- Place cabbage mix in a large bowl. Pour dressing over top, cover and refrigerate at least one hour, or overnight.