I’m so excited to share the recipe for these Roasted Vegetable Sandwiches today. We have been making them for over 20 years and they never disappoint. Thin slices of roasted eggplant and zucchini, layered with tomato, lettuce, cheese and a secret mustard sauce between two slices of multi-grain bread? Sandwich heaven!
My mom took my kids to a local farm this past weekend to pick pumpkins and go for a tractor ride. As they were bumping through the fields, the driver explained that they had a surplus of eggplant this year and offered everyone some, freshly picked from the field! When my mom told me about her farm fresh eggplants we both thought the same thing: Roasted Vegetable Sandwiches!
Making Roasted Vegetable Sandwiches
There is really not much to making these Roasted Vegetable Sandwiches. Start by slicing the eggplant and zucchini into 1/4″ thick slices. I like to slice the eggplant into rounds and the zucchini lengthwise. Then spray or brush the slices with olive oil and sprinkle with oregano and salt. You can either broil or grill the eggplant until tender and browned. It takes about 8-10 minutes under the broiler, and I like to flip the slices once halfway through to get both sides browned. If you grill the veggies, I would use a grill pan to keep the pieces in tact.
Start cooking the zucchini first, as it takes a few more minutes than the eggplant to become tender.
While the veggies are broiling, mix up the secret mustard sauce. This is the best part! In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of dijon mustard, 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and 1 teaspoon of honey.
Now you can assemble. Start with a few slices of green leafy lettuce on the bottom slice of multi-grain bread. Next layer 2 or 3 slices each of the eggplant and zucchini. Add a slice of tomato and a slice or two of provolone or Muenster. Finally spread that secret sauce on the top slice of bread, cut the sandwich in half and enjoy! This sandwich has so much amazing flavor that it doesn’t need much of anything to go with it. Some grapes or melon would be a perfect garnish.
I can safely say this in one of my favorite sandwiches ever…I just love that mustard! I’d love to hear your favorite sandwiches or spreads in the comments below!
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 large tomato
- thin-sliced Provolone or Muenster cheese
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 T. Dijon mustard
- 2 T. balsamic vinegar
- green leaf lettuce
- 8 slices multi-grain bread
- Preheat the oven to broil.
- Slice the eggplant and zucchini into ¼" thick slices.
- Place eggplant on cookie sheet. Spray or brush the slices with olive oil and sprinkle with oregano and salt.
- Broil vegetables 8-10 minutes under the broiler, until tender and browned, flipping once halfway through.
- While the veggies are broiling, mix up the sauce: in a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of dijon mustard, 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and 1 teaspoon of honey. Whisk together until well mixed.
- To assemble the sandwiches: start with a few slices of green leafy lettuce on the bottom slice of multi-grain bread.
- Next layer 2 or 3 slices each of the eggplant and zucchini.
- Add a slice of tomato and a slice or two of Provolone or Muenster.
- Finally spread that mustard sauce on the top slice of bread, cut the sandwich in half and enjoy!