These Zucchini Cakes are one of my all time favorite recipes. My mom has been making them for a long, long time and every time we have them, I fall in love all over again. They’re a perfect side dish with grilled chicken or fish, or sometimes we’ll just make them to eat for lunch.
You won’t believe how easy these are to make! To start, shred two zucchini using a box grater and place in a mixing bowl. Then add mayonaise, bread crumbs, an egg and the secret ingredient: some Old Bay Seasoning. The Old Bay gives the Zucchin Cakes an awesome flavor, similar to crab cakes. Mix it all to combine, and form the mixture into patties, about 4″ round. Then you just pan fry the cakes for a few minutes on each side in a pan with some olive oil. You can place them in the oven to keep warm as you cook them. Depending on the size of your zucchini, this recipe makes 8-10 cakes. Serve them up with a dollop of sour cream or plain Greek yogurt.
Depending on the size of your skillet, it’s best to cook just 2 or 3 cakes at a time so you don’t overcrowd the pan and have plenty of room to flip the cakes over. Set your oven to warm or a low temp of 180° F. Then, as you cook the Zucchini Cakes, place them on a cookie sheet in the oven so they are all hot when it’s time to serve!
This is a recipe you’ll be making all summer long. It’s a perfect way to use up zucchini from the garden!
- 2 c. shredded zucchini
- 1 c. seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. mayonaise
- 1 egg
- Serve with sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Form the mixture into approximately 4" patties.
- In a large skillet, pan fry the cakes for about 4 minutes per side, until browned and heated through. Cook 2 - 3 cakes at a time so that you have room to flip them and so that pan is not overcrowded.